Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sea Lions

Sea Lions are very common both on the more remote islands and in the populated areas as well.  Three percent of the entire archipelago is set aside for people to inhabit.  Sea lions can be found lounging about on rocks and in the surf bobbing above and below the surface for fish to eat.  They are often on the beaches and make their ways onto the boardwalks in the tourist areas.  Their favorite activity seems to be sunning themselves and napping.  The smaller ones usually stay close to the mother.  One time I was walking on the beach in the bright sun without sunglasses watching my feet and I walked right up on a baby sea lion nursing. The baby looked up at me with a face of outrage for interrupting and the mother yawed at me in anger.  As long as the mother did not attack me I was fine with that.  I kept walking.  It occurred to me that they form something like acceptable beach bum communities. 

Another animal that is common in the Galápagos is the penguin.  They can be seen on rocks in groups or alone.  They feed on fish and can dart around in the water very fast.  I saw one swimming on the surface one day close to the others and it looked like a duck.

No comments:

Post a Comment